Skip to main content

State Authorization Regulations

  • Are you currently enrolled or do you plan to enroll in online courses at the University of New Mexico?
  • Will you live outside of New Mexico during your attendance at UNM?

If you answered yes to both questions, the following state authorization information applies to you.

Under federal law, an institution of higher education must be authorized by each state in which it offers distance education. This includes both online education and experiential placements, such as internships and clinical rotations.

In order to meet this requirement, UNM joined the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) in 2015. SARA is a voluntary agreement between states and approved institutions that allows universities to offer online education in participating states without having to go through a separate approval process. This reduces costs to both institutions and students, as well as standardizing the criteria for distance education authorization across the country.

UNM is working to comply with these changes and will provide up-to-date information as it becomes available. See our current status in each state, including program availability, on our Authorization Map.