As a continuation of an earned certificate or associate degree in dental hygiene, The University of New Mexico School of Medicine is pleased to offer a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) to Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene (BSDH) Post-Licensure Program online. Designed for individuals who already hold a valid American dental hygiene license, the program offers an opportunity to expand basic dental hygiene knowledge and skills into areas such as education, management, research, public health, or advanced training. The curriculum is designed to allow continuing students to complete the program on a full or part-time basis. The courses are offered in an 8-week format.
UNM RDH to BSDH post-licensure degree completion students partake in a wide range of activities that may benefit future career endeavors, including graduate study. Generally, dental hygienists work in a dental clinic and perform many critical services that detect, prevent, and treat diseases of the mouth. UNM's program provides dental hygienists an opportunity to master additional skills that will enhance their experience and knowledge base and improve career opportunities. Graduates will attain a complex skillset to work in multiple settings and industries including:
- Medical Clinics
- Small Business
- Insurance Industry
- Public Health
- Speaking and Writing
Interested in dropping by for a Zoom session to hear more about our Accelerated Online Program with Director Christine Nathe? Click on a date and time that work for you!
- March 27th, 2024 @ 11:00 AM—12:00 PM
- April 9th, 2024 @ 1:00 PM—2:00 PM
- May 22nd, 2024 @ 12:00 PM—1:00 PM
- June 26th, 2024 @ 11:00 AM— 12:00 PM
NOTE: This program is a post-licensure program, meaning it is available only to students who already hold a valid dental hygiene license. The University of New Mexico cannot confirm whether this program leads to licensure or advanced certification in your home state. Prior to applying for admission, contact your state dental board to assure that, upon completion of the program, you are qualified to obtain a license or other form of certification. If you need assistance contacting the licensing agency in your state, contact UNM Online at (866) 869-6040.
UNM's Online RDH to BSDH program was named among the Top 5 Most Affordable Online Dental Hygiene Programs by OnlineU for 2023.
The mission of the University of New Mexico School of Medicine's Division of Dental Hygiene in Albuquerque educates future dental hygienists on improving health by providing academic and clinical training. Students will finish the program as highly qualified dental hygiene professionals who provide the highest quality oral health care services to the community, advance the art and science of dental hygiene via research and other scholarly activities and sponsor services that validate the programs of the university.
- Expand career opportunities for registered dental hygienists
- Refine the professional skills sets of the dental hygienists
- Prepare dental hygienists for graduate studies
For more detailed information see brochure.
Tuition and Fees
Total cost per credit hour is $431.66 and is comprised of $394.80 base tuition + $36.86 upper division course premium. There is a student technology fee charged each semester. It is $150 in the Fall, $150 in the Spring, and $20 in the Summer. There may be additional costs, depending on the class. Additional costs are often for textbooks, supplemental course materials, and proctoring fees.
To complete an undergraduate degree, students are required to fulfill general education and college-specific requirements.
- Completion of a certificate or associate degree program in dental hygiene that has been accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and a regional accreditation agency, or a letter of approval from the director of a CODA and regionally accredited New Mexico community college program, if simultaneously enrolled in one of these programs.
- A satisfactory grade point average of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- A copy of a current American Dental Hygienist license
- Application to the University of New Mexico.
- There is a $25 fee associated with this application.
- Official transcripts of all prior college courses undertaken submitted to UNM.
- Application to the Division of Dental Hygiene
- Official transcripts of all prior college courses undertaken submitted to the Division of Dental Hygiene (upload a copy to the application link, or put a placeholder of unofficial transcripts and send official transcripts to email@example.com).
- A copy of national board score.
- A copy of a current American Dental Hygienist license.
- A $125 application fee to the Division of Dental Hygiene payable online
- Interview with the Program Director (Once applications have been submitted, students are contacted to schedule this interview.)
- All applications are reviewed once all required procedures are complete. Applications submitted without pieces will be incomplete and will not be considered.
- Fall 1st 8-week Term: July 31
- Fall 2nd 8-week Term: September 30
- Spring 1st 8-week Term: November 30
- Spring 2nd 8-week Term: January 31
- Summer 8-week Term: April 30
To begin the application process for any Accelerated Online Program, use the Albuquerque Campus Application. In the Academics section, you will be prompted to select your Intended Field of Study. For this program, select: Dental Hygiene - Online.
To graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene degree from UNM, a student must complete a minimum of 128 credit hours. Fifteen of these hours must be completed after 92 hours have been earned. Thirty of these hours must be completed at UNM. UNM requires 31 hours distributed between seven areas to complete the UNM General Education requirements. Current dental hygienists will transfer in many of these requirements, An academic advisor will be happy to review your academic history to determine which courses you may need to complete at UNM. The university also requires completion of a 3 credit hour U.S. and Global Diversity and Inclusion requirement. Students may transfer coursework from other accredited institutions to fulfill these requirements.
For additional requirements for the RDH to BSDH degree completion program, please refer to the UNM Catalog.
About the Program
The RDH to BSDH post-licensure degree completion program expands the basic skills and knowledge acquired in an Associate of Science in Dental Hygiene degree program. This program is available to selected students who have received an Associate Degree or a Certificate in Dental Hygiene from a school accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and a regional accreditation agency.
This program requires the successful completion of 12 credit hours of core 400-level upper-division courses and 12 to 24 credit hours of electives. It offers an innovative, personalized curriculum that is designed to graduate dental hygienists with advanced skills.
Dental Hygiene Required Courses
|Dental Hygiene Research Methodology
|Dental Hygiene Business Principles
Dental Hygiene Elective Courses
|Dental Hygiene Clinical Instruction
|Advocacy and Leadership
|Dental Hygiene Program Planning
|Dental Public Health I
Additional credit hours are selected to meet the interests of the individual student and to fulfill graduation requirements. UNM offers many exciting educational avenues to explore and students have the opportunity to design a curriculum according to personal career interests.
NOTE: The University of New Mexico cannot confirm whether this program leads to licensure or advanced certification in your home state. Prior to applying for admission, contact your state dental board to assure that, upon completion of the program, you are qualified to obtain a license or other form of certification if desired. If you need assistance contacting the licensing agency in your state, contact UNM Online at (866) 869-6040.