In some online courses, instructors require supervised exams. Since it is the student's responsibility to secure a proctoring site that meets instructor approval, it is important to note the following:
- While free options exist, most proctoring services are offered for a fee
- In-person proctoring providers typically take reservations 1 to 3 weeks in advance of the exam date
Virtual and in-person proctoring resources are featured below. UNM does not officially endorse any proctoring locations.
UNM offers two virtual proctoring solutions.
Proctorio requires the following specifications:
- Desktop or laptop computer
- Portable web camera OR built-in laptop camera
- Microphone headset (best to minimize external noise) OR built-in computer/laptop microphone
- Minimum Internet connection speed of .092 Mbps (0.663 Mbps is optimal)
- Minimum recommended RAM of 4GB
- Download of Chrome Browser (free and open)
2. Respondus. Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that blocks a test-taker's ability to print, copy text, visit other sites, access other applications, or close the test window before it is submitted. Respondus Monitor uses the LockDown Browser application, a web camera, and microphone to record the test-taker's activities. Using Respondus is free for students. There is help documentation for instructors and students.
Respondus requires the following specifications:
- A supported operating system
- Administrator access to a Windows/PC or Mac, to install, update, and run LockDown Browser
- A reliable and stable Internet connection
- Video monitoring requires a web camera and microphone
Web cameras and microphones are available at the UNM Bookstore. Students may buy them there using Bursar account funds.
In-Person Proctoring Resources
NOTE: Due to the current CoVid-19 situation, the In-Person Proctoring services below may have extremely limited to no service. Please contact the center as early as possible if you anticipate needing proctoring services.
|National College Testing Association||Nationwide||Free referral service||Varies|
|UNM Testing Center||Albuquerque||Free for UNM Students|
|UNM Health Sciences Rio Rancho Campus||Rio Rancho||Free for UNM Students||1 Week||(505) 994-5000|
ask for Janell Pollard, administrative assistant
|Central New Mexico Community College|
Albuquerque - CNM Workforce Training Center
|$25 for UNM Students||2-3 Weeks|
|Lewis University National Test Center||Albuquerque - Kirtland Air Force Base||$20 - $40 Only for UNM Students with Access to KAFB||1 Week|
(505) 265-3947 (KAFB)
(505) 255-3947 (ABQ)
|Sylvan Learning||Albuquerque||$50 per Test||1 Week||(505) 404-9332|
|Clovis Community College Testing Center||Clovis, NM (There is an Option at Cannon Air Force Base for Students with Base Access)||$25 for UNM Students||Contact Office||(575) 769-4088|
|UNM Gallup Testing Center||Gallup, NM||Free for UNM Students||1 Week|
|New Mexico State University – Grants||Grants, NM||$15 per Test||2 Weeks|
|San Juan College Testing Center||Farmington, NM||$35 per Test||1 Week||(505) 566-3139|
|New Mexico State University - Dona Ana Community College||Las Cruces, NM||$25 for UNM Students||2 Weeks||(575) 527-7569|
|UNM Los Alamos Student Services||Los Alamos, NM||Free for UNM Students||48 Hours|
|UNM Valencia Assessment Center||Los Lunas, NM||Free for UNM Students||24 Hours||(505) 925-8560|
|Santa Fe Community College||Santa Fe, NM||$25 per Test||1 Week||(505) 428-1625|