Schedule an Online Course
The UNM Scheduling Office is the curriculum scheduling authority for main campus. It is the role of the Scheduling Office to review requests and enter approved courses into Banner. While academic units work to ensure accurate form preparation, only the Scheduling Office has authority to finalize scheduling requests.
Given the differences with scheduling an online course, the Scheduling Office authorized UNM Online to manage requests. As a result, UNM Online pre-approval is required to schedule an online course. It is the role of UNM Online to pre-approve online course scheduling requests and forward them to the Scheduling Office for final processing.
Online Course Types
The following instructional types require pre-approval from UNM Online:
Online courses can either have no scheduled meetings, scheduled online meetings, or a very limited number of in-person scheduled meetings, or a combination of the above. Online courses are limited to three in-person meetings per 16-week term, and these meetings are often used for orientation and exams. All mandatory meetings, either virtual or in-person, must be scheduled in Banner.
Meetings that occur in an online course must comply with distance education regulations. Instructors use the Online with Meetings form to ensure compliance.
Online courses undergo a quality review process when they are initially developed.
Accelerated Online Programs are undergraduate degree completion programs and full master’s degrees that meet specific characteristics:
- Students must be admitted to an Accelerated Online Program to be eligible to enroll.
- Courses are in an 8-week format.
- Courses have no scheduled meetings.
- Tuition is a flat, cost-per-credit-hour rate, regardless of residential status.
- Additional costs may include a college differential, upper-division course premiums, and the student technology fee.
Each semester, UNM Online Scheduling follows the online Department Enrollment Status Report (DESR) timeline.
|First online DESRs due to UNM Online Scheduling||Thursday, September 9, 2021|
|Final online DESRs due to UNM Online Scheduling||Friday, October 1, 2021|
|New/Redesign Course Proposal Forms due to UNM Online Course Proposals and Redesigns||Friday, September 10, 2021|
|First online DESRs due to UNM Online Scheduling||Tuesday, January 26, 2021|
|Final online DESRs due to UNM Online Scheduling||Friday, March 5, 2021|
|New/Redesign Course Proposal Forms due to UNM Online Course Proposals and Redesigns [Extended Deadline]||Friday, March 12, 2021|
Use the Online Scheduling Form to schedule or cancel the following types of course sections:
- Online Course
- Accelerated Online Program Course
|Online Scheduling Form|
Approval is necessary to schedule a course that is new to the online delivery mode. For a course to be considered, submit the following two documents.
- Online Scheduling Form
- Online Course Proposal (OCP) Form - The OCP form includes all information UNM Online needs to review a request for a new online course.
Submit Online Course Proposal Forms to email@example.com.
Submit Online Scheduling Forms to firstname.lastname@example.org by the final DESR deadline.
Use the Crosslist Form to schedule a group of equivalent and interchangeable courses. With each crosslisted group, there is a "home department." A home department is the academic unit responsible for submitting crosslist forms and ensuring identical scheduling of all participating sections. Some online courses are crosslisted per the UNM Catalog, requiring submission of a crosslist form with every scheduling request.
|Crosslist Form||Crosslist sections|
For an online section, changing the instructor of record is done through the UNM Online Scheduling Office. Departments must not make such instructor updates themselves. With online courses, an instructor change impacts course development, resource allocation, and budget decisions. To change an instructor, email email@example.com and include: term, CRN, subject, course number, instructor name, and UNM Banner ID number.
|Instructor Update||Primary instructor change|
Academic departments submit their own section capacity updates.
Each Special Event and Classroom Request is reviewed by the UNM Scheduling Office. The office accepts requests at least 4 days prior to the event from UNM colleges, departments and chartered student organizations. Allow more processing time for events occurring on the weekend. Incomplete forms will not be processed.
|Special Event and Classroom Request||n/a|
RASI Training and Online Scheduling
Instructors teaching online or hybrid courses must complete the Regular and Substantive Interaction Training in Learning Central before the Fall 2021 semester begins. The Regular and Substantive Interaction (RASI) training requirement will impact online course scheduling for Spring 2022 and later.
- Requests to add online sections or change instructors on online classes will be processed only if the instructor has completed RASI training or EBPTO.
- If a department needs to add an online class but does not know who will teach it yet, the RASI training requirement will not prevent them from adding the section with TBA instructor.
- For online and AOP sections, departments should continue to send scheduling forms and instructor update requests to Online Scheduling. Online Scheduling will verify the instructor’s training. For online classes, Academic Units do not update instructor assignments in Banner. With respect to online classes only, it is critical that instructor assignments are made by Online Scheduling.
- Schedule of Online Classes
- Section Capacity Change Request
- Ten Year Semester Dates
- UNM Schedule of Classes
- UNM Scheduling Resources
- Catalog Updates
- Office of the Registrar
Contact UNM Online Scheduling
UNM Online supports scheduling coordinators. Expert staff are available to clarify the nuances of scheduling an online course.
Contact UNM Online About Course Proposals
UNM Online's Curriculum Development Coordinator is the contact for questions about the course proposal process.
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.