Current Students: Getting Started
To help your smooth transition into online learning, we recommend that you look at the 'How to Use UNM Learn' user guide to familiarize yourself with the Blackboard Learn learning management system and its associated technology requirements.
Response to COVID-19
For information on a safe return to campus, visit Bringing Back the Pack.
For further information on UNM's response to CoVid, see the following links for the latest updates:
- University Guidance: unm.edu/coronavirus
- Campus Resources & Services: advisement.unm.edu/resources/covid-19-advisor-resources
- Library Resources & Services: library.unm.edu/coronavirus.php
- Student Technology Access: at.unm.edu/coronavirus/student-tech-access
Ask Me: Welcome Back to the Pack!
The UNM community is excited to welcome you to the 2021 Summer and Fall semesters! Please visit Ask Me: Welcome Back to the Pack! for answers to questions regarding financial aid, class schedule, computing resources/technology services, student resources, and much more!
Virtual Student Activities
Being socially distant — including being an online student — doesn't need to be lonely or stressful! The Student Activities Center has created a variety of virtual activities for all UNM students. Check the Virtual Activities, Programming, and Resources page for an evolving list of activities, programs, and ideas for how to safely connect with friends, groups, and community resources.
You can find an overview of online education at the University of New Mexico at Welcome to UNM Online.
Because online education is delivered across state lines, there are state and federal regulations in place to ensure students are protected and receive a quality education. For students pursuing a degree leading to licensure outside New Mexico, it is critical to verify relevant state authorizations.
Email questions to UNM Online: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are two types of online course:
- An asynchronous online course has no, or a very limited number of, scheduled meetings.
- A synchronous online course has regularly scheduled meetings.
In the Schedule of Online Courses, you can find the courses UNM offers online. As you look through the schedule, you will note some courses have a paw icon:
The icon indicates a Golden Paw was awarded, meaning quality initiatives were met and certified by the Online Course Advisory Council. Each online course awarded the Golden Paw underwent a rigorous assessment along the Online Course Standards Rubric. UNM faculty conduct an evaluation to ensure every qualified course passes the rubric's highest level of quality.
While many individual courses are offered online, UNM also offers both fully and partially online degree programs.
Part of Term
Commonly, courses are conducted over the full term, or within the first half, (1H), or second half, (2H), of a semester.
- Online courses are accessed through the Blackboard learning management system known as UNM Learn. Each course becomes available at 12:01 a.m. on the first day of its part of term.
- Students use their NetID and password to log in at learn.unm.edu.
- UNM Learn Support is available 24/7 by phone at 505-277-0857 or toll-free at 877-688-8817.
- Contact Learn Support for assistance with the educational technologies in UNM Learn, and for accessing synchronous online courses.
- For courses allowing students to convert content into alternative formats, there is accessibility support documentation.
- See 'How to Use UNM Learn' to familiarize yourself with the Blackboard Learn learning management system and its associated technology requirements.
SurveysUNM Online administers two surveys. Students use the Welcome Survey to introduce themselves to their online instructors. Half-way through a course, online students may provide feedback to their instructors using the Midcourse Survey. Survey invitations are sent to preferred email addresses, as indicated by UNM records. You are welcome to contact email@example.com with your questions.
Online tutoring services for undergraduates are available at CAPS, UNM's Center for Academic Program Support. For graduate students, there are individual consultations at the Graduate Resource Center. Writing labs are available for undergraduate and graduate students.
A few weeks before midterms, UNM Online will send to online students an email with reminders about services for online tutoring, stress management and career services.
When exam proctoring is required, each student is responsible for coordinating the service with the instructor. Proctoring resources are available here.
UNM Online staff answer questions about the university's online education system. Phone support is available weekdays during regular business hours. Email inquiries are generally addressed within one business day, however, during periods of heavy seasonal traffic, responses may take up to two business days.
At online.unm.edu, a chatbot is available for 24/7 inquiries. Questions the chatbot cannot answer will be addressed in 1-2 business days by UNM Online staff.
Contact UNM Online
An extensive selection of resources available to online students is found in the navigation panel to your left.