Current Students: Getting Started
You can find an overview of what online education is like at the University of New Mexico at Welcome to UNM Online.
Academic deadlines can be found here.
Please visit Ask Me: Welcome Back to the Pack! for answers to questions regarding financial aid, class schedule, computing resources/technology services, student resources, and much more!
Your Protections as an Online Student
UNM Online strives to offer the highest quality in online education. Because online education is delivered across state lines, there are state and federal regulations in place to ensure students are protected and receive a quality education. For students outside New Mexico who are pursuing a licensure degree from UNM, it is critical to verify relevant state authorizations.
Email questions to UNM Online: email@example.com.
Online Course Types
The University of New Mexico (UNM) offers the following programs online:
- Accelerated Online Programs (AOP), denoted by the lightning bolt icon —
- Fully and partially online undergraduate and graduate degree programs
There are two methods of online course delivery:
- One method has no, or very few, required meetings.
- The other method has regularly scheduled, often weekly, class meetings.
The paw icon indicates a course met rigorous course development standards and received a Golden Paw. With Golden Paw courses, quality initiatives were met and certified by the Online Course Advisory Council. Each online course awarded the Golden Paw underwent UNM’s highest assessment following the Online Course Standards Rubric.
Commonly, online courses are conducted over the entire semester (full-term), the first half, (1H), or the second half, (2H). The Schedule of Online Courses has current online course offerings.
Learning Management System (LMS)
UNM has transitioned to the Canvas learning management system, for more visit Canvas @ UNM.
- Log into canvas.unm.edu with your NetID and password.
- Canvas Support is available 24/7 by phone at 505-277-0857 or toll-free at 877-688-8817.
- How to Use UNM Canvas
- Why Can’t I See My Course in Canvas?
- If you are having problems with any content delivered through UNM Canvas, contact your instructor. Canvas Support is also ready to answer your questions.
- Accessibility: Ally allows you to access course content in alternative formats. For students with self-identified disabilities, connect with the Accessibility Resource Center.
Tutoring & Exam Proctoring
Online tutoring services for undergraduates are available through CAPS, UNM's Center for Academic Program Support. For graduate students, there are individual consultations at the Graduate Resource Center. Online writing labs are available for undergraduate and graduate students. Additional writing and language support is offered through the Writing & Language Center.
Each student is responsible for coordinating the service with the course’s instructor when exam proctoring is required — whether virtual or in-person. Proctoring resources are available here.
UNM Online Student Support
UNM Online staff answer questions about the university's online education system. At online.unm.edu, a chatbot is available for 24/7 inquiries. Questions the chatbot cannot answer will be addressed in 1-2 business days by UNM Online staff.
Contact UNM Online
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., MST
Phone: Albuquerque: (505) 277-9000 or Toll free: (866) 869-6040
- Virtual Advisement Hours: Join us on Zoom for Virtual Advisement Hours Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to Noon (Mountain Time). Meeting ID: 967 7118 3893
Resources are found in the navigation panel on this page at the top on the far left.